This past Christmas our family got into the true spirit of Christmas much more than we have in past years, and I think we have the #lighttheworld challenge issued by the LDS church to thank for that. I made the decorations above with one of my friends who showed me how to hollow out and make strong these egg shells so they could hold different scenes inside them. I loved the idea of having a display of the nativity scene on our tree and then next to it the picture of St. Nick kneeling and paying his respect and love to the Savior as well. It was a reminder of what the real meaning behind all the seemingly commercialized Christmas traditions are really about.
Each night before bed in December our family read the various scriptures and challenges for how we could bring Christ's light to the world. the next day. We got a special little tree with tiny ornaments that we only put on after we completed a 'light the world' challenge so that we could see how we were progressing and doing. I think that this focus and daily reminder of the savior and his birth helped our children, Andy, and I focus on the true meaning of Christmas. We were able to focus less on the bustle and gathering of presents and more on relationships and the giving and sharing of love with each other. I felt the spirit of Christ in our home more often as we deliberately made an effort to do one more thing than usual each day to invite him into our lives and share his love with others. Now that the Christmas season has drawn to a close however, it has been our families challenge to continue on with that in mind and find ways to continue to light the world with his message and love.
Since I serve in the primary in our ward, I am always looking and thinking about the Primary lessons and messages. This year's theme is Choose the Right and last week we gave the children some CTR shield stickers and a challenge to think of one thing they are going to do differently this month to choose to follow the Lord or choose the right more often. We want to continue this throughout the year and encourage the children to share as they continue to set goals and complete them. I thought it was a perfect way for the leaders of our faith to help the children carry on the pattern established by the 'light the world' challenge and am so grateful for their foresight, knowledge, and love in setting the primary theme for this year. I know they were guided by the Lord's hand and if we take their challenges and follow their counsel, we will have joy and grow one step closer to the Lord.



No comments:
Post a Comment